UX-Related URLsJakob Nielsen's Useit.com
WWW Consortium Specifications
Human Factors Int'l
A List Apart
User Interface Engineering
Java Design Guidelines
Boxes and Arrows
ProfileRobert M. Foster II
122 County Line Rd.
Lansdale, PA 19446-1438
- Strong team leader with excellent communication skills and the unique ability to act as a well-informed liaison between customers, business stakeholders, and development teams.
- Web pioneer, developing and designing web interfaces since 1995.
- Electronic product strategist, expert in creating and delivering holistic, enterprise-wide, customer-centric solutions for multiple personas.
- Expert at establishing best practices for requirements gathering and design artifact creation, i.e., use cases, personas, wireframes, workflow diagrams, storyboards, high-fidelity mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Expert at conducting user research through multiple techniques - including contextual inquiry - and conducting user-testing.
- Expert at UI and experience analysis and providing heuristic and expert reviews.
- Broad experience with multiple methodologies, from RUP to Agile, to Extreme.
SPECIALTIES & SKILLS:
- Establishing Best UX Practices and Methodologies
- RUP, Agile and Extreme Processes
- Business Analysis
- Contextual Inquiry and Design
- Requirements Elicitation and Gathering
- Persona Development
- Use Cases and User Stories
- Interaction and Interface Design
- Information Architecture
- Storyboards, Wire-frames, and Prototypes
- User Testing
- Section 508 Compliance
- Training and Presentations
- Graphic and Web Site Design
- Proficient in Photoshop, Visio, BBEdit, HTML, DHTML, XHTML, CSS, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
4/2007 - Present: Wölters Kluwer Health, Medical ResearchDirector of User Experience
- Documented and distributed usability guidelines, web design style-guides, and created best practices and methodologies throughout the division.
- Implemented more agile-like development process, using wireframes and high-fidelity mockups to quickly and easily document business requirements, test designs, and demonstrate requirements to IT.
- Designed new eJournals platform, overseeing the branding and implementation of over 270 health journals and magazines; designed a mobile view for the platform as well.
- Designed apps (iPad) for mobile journal experience.
- Designed Wölters Kluwer Health corporate site, Audio books website, Image Sales website, LWW Jounals site, and numerous product-marketing websites.
- Designed highly successful Lippincott Nursing Procedures and Skills product, Lippincott Nursing Advisor product, and new Pathology Network product.
- Managed user-experience workload for multiple concurrent projects.
2/2006 - 4/2007: Refinery, Inc.Sr. User Experience Architect
- Worked with business stakeholders to recommend online strategies and to produce wireframes and other design artifacts (use cases, storyboards, etc.) for consumer-facing and doctor-facing product websites.
- Designed websites for Singulair ®, Propecia ®, Fosamax ®, Maxalt ®, Cozaar®, Invanz ®, Cancidas ® and numerous other Merck pharmaceutical products.
- Designed Merck's international management training portal.
- Designed mind-models for Washington-based Bio-engineering lobby group.
- Conducted market research, user research, and user-testing.
- Aided in development of in-house design pattern library.
1/2005 - 1/2006: Go Daddy SoftwareSr. User Interface Analyst and Designer
- Developed custom internal development processes and custom design artifacts to meet the speed-to-market demands of the organization.
- Designed Domain Name Management Center, the Wild West domain name reseller control center and storefront, numerous web-based applications i.e. Email, Calendar, redesigned the e-commerce product, Quick Shopping Cart and designed the online viewer for the 2005 Super Bowl Commercial.
- Performed market research to gathered functional requirements for web-based applications, such as Calendar and Email.
- Conducted ongoing user-testing of new releases and performed ongoing heuristic and expert reviews of existing products.
- Oversaw in-house graphic design for online products suite.
2/2002 - 12/2004: The r.Smart Group, Phoenix, AZExperience Architect and Creative Director
- Worked with administrators, students, and teachers to create design artifacts and design UI for Collegestepz.com, a nationally funded minority-serving decision tool for the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
- Designed corporate identity and collaterals for NATN and CollegestepzT.
- Designed site, identity, training materials, signage, and all collaterals for the first-ever Open Source Summit.
- Designed interactive tour of innovative Electronic Portfolio product.
- Designed and implemented user experience for the r-smart website (www.rsmart.com) and for RSN (rsn.rsmart.com), the r-smart customer support network.
- Designed web-based application interfaces, web sites, printed materials, tradeshow materials, and all other branded collateral for every major initiative at the company.
- Documented internal standards and best practices.
12/1998 - 1/2002: SCT Corporation, Malvern, PALead Interface Designer/HCI Analyst
- Designed and implemented the online version of SCT's enterprise-wide flagship administration tool, Banner®.
- Designed and implemented online distance learning applications, including Aspire® and online version of Learning Suite®.
- Collaborated with Campus Pipeline™ and WebCT™ to design integration of SCT's online student-end administration tool with their existing online interfaces. Tested design candidates with users.
- Developed course material and taught HTML classes to SCT SQL developers and UI design concepts to incoming SCT employees in the SCT Academy.
- Created/Designed/Implemented a Web Design Standards Web Site.
1/1995 - 12/1998: Foster Graphics, Paoli, PAOwner/Creative Director/Graphic Designer/Web Developer
- Designed award-winning web sites, logos, brochures, packaging, corporate identity, trade show materials, posters, CD covers, promotional pieces, ads, kiosks, user interfaces, icons, and more for Chilton Publishing, AT&T, and others.
- Pioneered site design for the world-wide web, building sites in spring of 1995 for customers such as Main Line Bank, Zany Brainy, SFS, and numerous others.
- Designed customer-facing plumbing repair parts identifier programs for Lowe's Home Centers, The Home Depot, True Value, and Farm & Country Hardware Stores.
Main Line Macintosh Users Group. Program Director, Vendor Liaison;
Member of the Usability Professionals Association (UPA)